Friday 26 July 2013

A very popular flower - Buddleia


Hello! This morning I was out in my garden when I passed the Buddleia. This beautiful lilac flower was crawling with wildlife such as bees, butterflies, wasps, moths, hoverflies and bluebottles. The flower was planted due to the fact that it would attract a lot of wildlife and it has done exactly that!




First of all, I saw at least 4 Red Admirals, which we usually don't see in the garden at this time of the year. They were gorgeously coloured with deep reds and golden browns and I was lucky that they didn't notice me and fly away. This was the first time I've seen them in our garden this year, so this made me extremely happy to see that they hadn't moved away.


 Secondly, along with the Admirals, there was a white butterfly. I was ecstatic to photograph this lovely butterfly because I had seen it in my garden many times before but they always flew off before I could take photos. I'm not sure what this butterfly is called (maybe someone could comment and tell me) which brings me to the subject of the unknown flower.




In one of my last posts, I put photos of a flower with a name that I wasn't sure of. I have now discovered that this flower is called Sweet Pea. If you would like to plant a flower that attracts bees and other wildlife, I recommend Buddleia or Sweet Pea. Not only do they attract mini-beasts but they look beautiful too!







 One thing we are certainly lucky to have are bats and so I'll try to catch some photos of them too soon!!!
 

1 comment:

  1. Well done Georgia! I've enjoyed reading this and it reads just like you. Keep up the good ideas. Lovely to see you combining your literary and ICT skills!

    ReplyDelete