Sunday 21 July 2013

Hedgehogs and butterflies

Welcome to my new blog - Fluttering Wildlife!

This blog is all about wildlife, as you can probably guess from the name, and it will tell you about different types of wildlife and some experiences that I've had with some animals and creatures.

Do you love wildlife?

Then this blog is for you! Read my blogs, look at the pictures and enjoy!

:)

The picture below is one taken from my garden and it's of a hedgehog who we called Ziggy. We found him one night, abandoned and so we called the vet. They told us to weigh the hedgehog. When we told him the weight, the vet said that - outside - Ziggy wouldn't survive. He told us to keep him inside until he was big enough to release. We were to feed him raisins, cat food and the occasional slug and so we did. Over the weeks we watched Ziggy grow from the size of an apple to the size of a grapefruit. After releasing him, I realised just how special this experience was and just how amazing it felt to have saved this hedgehog.


If you find a hedgehog in your garden, please check that it is ok but DO NOT HANDLE IT WITHOUT CALLING A VET FIRST, as they can die of shock if they are not handled or treated in the right way. Please share any experiences you have had with hedgehogs; I'd love to hear them!!!



The picture below of the butterfly is another one taken in my garden. I was helping out in the garden when I stumbled across a butterfly lying on the ground. I rushed inside, grabbed my camera and snapped some pictures instantly. The butterfly didn't fly away and I discovered that it had a damaged wing. I told my family to be careful not to tread on it. But a bird managed to get it. Sadly, it died.

Tortoiseshell butterflies are beautiful and I managed to take a picture of it's intricate wings. There are many butterflies in Britain in the summer, however, a large quantity of them are dying out due to new types of butterfly. The competition for food and shelter is forever increased and so, the next time you see a butterfly, see if it is foreign. Which butterflies do you see a lot? Please comment!





1 comment:

  1. What an amazing experience with the hedgehog. It was so lucky to have ended up in your garden with people who cared and looked after it. By the way, I presume you have read 'The Hodgeheg" by Dick King-Smith? If not, even though it is for younger readers, read it now; you'll enjoy the humour - I did even though I'm grown-up.

    ReplyDelete